Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Adventures in King Cake: Winn-Dixie

This weekend, we tried the Winn-Dixie King Cake. I was a little skeptical, as it came in one of those clear, plastic containers that they usually reserve for day-old pastries.

As it turns out, I was right to be skeptical. Although it wasn't as sweet as the Albertson's cake, which was the only thing I liked about it, it was also dry. Dry does not complement lack of sweetness. In fact, it was rather off-putting and I could not finish it.

Even though the Albertson's cake had just a tad too much of frosting and sugar, I found that the W-D cake swung too far in the opposite direction. The frosting and sugar were little more than a delicate drizzle over the top, which was neither attractive, nor added too much in the way of flavor.

At $8, it's not a bad cake, but I'd make the drive to Albertson's ANYDAY. The difference in price will pay for the extra gas.

No comments: