Monday, January 21, 2008

Adventures in King Cake: Meche's Donuts

Before I start this post about the latest king cake, I feel the need to rant. I may lose friends over this, but it has to be said.

Meche's Donut King has produced a good solid doughnut for several years now in the Acadiana area. They taste good hot first thing in the morning, and they taste good late in the afternoon after they've been sitting out, long past when the coffee has gotten cold.

A few years ago, the KKK (Krispy Kreme Kompany) tried to move into this area and pass off the product they sell as a doughnut. I had eaten Krispy Kreme in the local stores and found their doughnuts to taste like brown paper with a sugar glaze. I heard that they had to be eaten hot to be properly appreciated. When they set up a store in Lafayette, I finally got that chance.

A hot Krispy Kreme doughnut tastes like a cotton ball with a sugar glaze on it. There, I said it.

Anyhow, there was really no reason for me to taste-test Meche's king cake other than my oldest son really, really loves it.

And who wouldn't? The fillings are yummy and pleasing on the tongue. Their fruit fillings are made with real fruit. The presentation of the glaze is totally Mardi Gras: bright colors with a little package of beads and the history of the king cake.


It's a doughnot, true, not a brioche, so it gets few points for authenticity. But they excel at making a "king cake" by adapting what they do best. At $15 for a small, it also feeds a lot of people.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can you order and ship online? Or do you have to call or visit the store?

Righteous Babe said...

You cannot order online, but you can have them shipped. I am not sure what the procedure is for shipping over the phone, but I am sure that they can probably do that with a credit card number. You can also walk in and take your chances with the flavors that they have available on the wall or you can call ahead and have it made that very day.