Thursday, January 17, 2008

Adventures in King Cake: Great Harvest Bread

Today I got back in the saddle of King Cakes again. A co-worker brought one in from Great Harvest Breads. I admit to being a little skeptical at first: a whole wheat king cake? Hmmmm....

Unlike my skepticism over Winn-Dixie's king cake, however, my skepticism this time around turned out to be unfounded. The cake itself gets no points for authenticity. It is unmistakably wheat bread. The whole wheat gives it a faint nutty flavor, and there is a light sprinkling of cinnamon and brown sugar throughout that enhances the natural flavors rather than overpowering them with sugar. It is beautifully decorated with interlaced swirls of purple, green, and gold glaze, with a cinnamon-brown-sugar-pecan crunch liberally sprinkled on top for good measure.

So while I can't promise you that there aren't any calories in this king cake, or that it is authentic, I will say that it is a tasty, more healthful alternative to some of the sugar-laden cakes floating around Lafayette. I would definitely give it two thumbs up.

2 comments:

MacLady said...

Calories in a cake???? Damn

lmao

Unknown said...

Perfect is the subject. I think this year I am going to venture into the world of King Cake making...my very first. Chef Gela