Thursday, January 24, 2008

Adventures in King Cake: Keller's

Today's king cake was another familiar favorite: Keller's. I have heard some people criticize its lack of authenticity, but I think they are applying their standards incorrectly.

Keller's is a family-owned bakery that has been open in the Lafayette area since the 1890's. This is a long tradition of providing delicious pastries. My personal opinion is that people who do not like Keller's king cake are merely used to a different kind of king cake. Its authenticity is indisputable: the recipe is most definitely a brioche, not a cinnamon roll, bread, or doughnut. Everything on it is delicately applied: a creamy, but not overly sweet filling, a thin glaze that pours on just right, and some festively colored candy sprinkles.

Every cake comes with a paper outlining the history of the king cake, a few Mardi Gras beads to start off your season, and of course, the traditional baby.

So if it is an authentic king cake you want, you will find a very tasty one here, at a pretty good price (unless you want it shipped -- then oy vey!).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ended up shipping Gambinos. Best pricing around. Haven't ever had one, but the one feedback I got was great. I am a fan of Keller's and a little mom and pop bakery in Abbeville who do a Cane Jelly king cake (fantabulous. They put just the right amount of jelly) and that's about it. Although Dorfey is threatening to get one from Crystal Weddings...I think they do the brioche, which is my personal favorite. I HATE the giant donut and I don't like the cinnamon roll kind. I love me some brioche...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm