Saturday, November 8, 2008

MOVIE REVIEW: First Sunday

Those of you who know me know that I will watch just about anything with Katt Williams in it. I was very excited to see that First Sunday finally made it to On Demand (I love On Demand).So I sat down and watched it with the kids and was pleasantly surprised: funny with a happy, upbeat ending.

Make no mistake, this is not Shakespeare, not by a long shot. And the movie does take a while to get off and running, but this turns out to be a good thing.

Katt Williams is, as usual, the comic highlight of this movie and gets the best comic bits. Equally entertaining is the underused Rickey Smiley. His characterization of Bernice Jenkins is dead-on.

Tracy Morgan and Ice Cube each slip into familiar roles. Morgan is a slickster with little brains and a lot of nerve. Ice Cube is the boy who never grew up and who's still living off of Mama'n'em despite the fact that he coulda been a contender. Loretta Devine turns in an excellent performance as a widow who is raising a foster child and gets another boy along the way. Regina Hall is great as usual as baby mama Omunique (I just love that name). Malinda Williams is perfectly cast as the sassy daughter of the church. Chi McBride turns in a credible performance as the pastor who only wants what is best for his flock (I have to admit, though, after seeing him in Let's Go To Prison, all I can think of is toilet wine).

There's laughter, tears, and redemption in this movie. The plot is a little unbelievable and saved somewhat by the oily performance of Michael Beach as the deacon. Nonetheless, it's entertaining and a good way to pass a couple of hours. I give it two packs of Dunhills and a pound of Mello Joy.

No comments: