Wednesday, November 19, 2008

BOOK REVIEW: Foul Play by Janet Evanovich

'Oh, cruel fate / That brought me to select this book / As my eyes so quickly pas'ed o'er / Swoon'



If you'll forgive my crappy writing, I'll forgive Janet Evanovich the publication (and outrageous expensive price) of this book. Well, I may not forgive the price.

I pulled this book off of the shelf, thinking that it was a continuation of Evanovich's most recent series, the Plum Holidays. I thought both of them were Evanovich's funniest in a very long time, so when I saw a turkey with Evanovich under it, I grabbed it off of the shelf.

That was my downfall, for this book was a complete turkey. I expected Lula, Grandma, Stephanie, Joe, and Ranger.

Instead, I got Jake and Amy, two of the sappiest lovers ever.

The storyline is great, Evanovich at her hokiest, with enough screwball to satisfy. It's the execution of the main characters that falls flat. The characters fall In Love almost immediately, so there's a lot of sappy introspection. Ugh. Neither one is exceptionally feisty or scrappy, so their times together are not all that enjoyable. I can see why this book became a big hit at garage sales everywhere. I give it one pack of Pall Malls and a cup of Folger's Instant coffee.

I didn't even want to waste your time with an ad for it, so I put up Janet Evanovich's Plum Spooky instead. I haven't read it yet, but I am sure that it will be a lot better.

Okay, I'll put this one up, too:

1 comment:

Jake said...

Man, what a letdown. I rented a few of Evanovich's books through my bookswim.com account, and some of them were hilarious, but every now and then you get those duds... I'm happy I could return my copies. :p